A Wicked Scoff...Recipes and Food with Newfoundland and New England Influences.

This blog is dedicated to bring recipes, photographs, anecdotes, reviews and other insights on everything food related. As the name suggests, "A Wicked Scoff" will have a regional flare, a fusion if you will, of both Newfoundland and New England perspectives of the culinary world around me. Thanks for visiting and please come back often as updates will be frequent. Oh yeah, I also like tasting and cooking with regional beers. Expect a beer of the month, often paired with recipes.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon

As promised, I am posting my attempt at classic French cooking, following Julia Child's recipe for Boeuf Bouruignon. This was undertaken after watching the movie Julie and Julia, in which this famous dish makes a cameo appearance. The day after the movie, I did a quick Internet search to find the recipe (see below), found a great site with scans from the cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking, made a quick trip to the market, and I was all set. I rarely follow recipes. I either come up with my own thing, based on what I have or what I am in the mood for...or I skim a few different recipes of something, get inspired and come up with my own hybrid version.

Here is the link to the recipe.

http://cooking.knopfdoubleday.com/2009/07/13/julia-childs-boeuf-bourguignon-recipe/

There are actually three recipes to follow, as the main dish contains "brown braised onions" and "sauteed mushrooms". I followed the recipes exactly, and the dish came out marvelous.

I would recommend trying this the traditional way the first time you make it...just so you can taste it. What I also wish I had the opportunity to do would be to make this with game..ideally moose or caribou. Maybe I can find some venison in these parts and try that. For those of you who have access to game, I encourage you try that, and let me know how it turns out. This would be an excellent dish to cook up at the cabin on a cold fall or winter day. A bottle of wine in the stew, and a few bottles on the table to drink and wash it all down would make for deliciously rich meal.

Brown-braised onions and mushrooms, combined and being reheated in a skillet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin