A Wicked Scoff...Recipes and Food with Newfoundland and New England Influences.

This blog is dedicated to bring recipes, photographs, anecdotes, reviews and other insights on everything food related. As the name suggests, "A Wicked Scoff" will have a regional flare, a fusion if you will, of both Newfoundland and New England perspectives of the culinary world around me. Thanks for visiting and please come back often as updates will be frequent. Oh yeah, I also like tasting and cooking with regional beers. Expect a beer of the month, often paired with recipes.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Fried Egg Breakfast Sandwich...with a twist

There's nothing like having a fried egg sandwich for breakfast on the weekend. Especially when you might have been up a bit too late and had a few too many the night before. While some might settle for the fast food variety, I prefer to make my own, using homemade white bread, crisp bacon, fried, farm fresh eggs and sharp cheddar cheese. Sometimes I like to add a something extra special...pickle beet slices. Before you say gross or yuck, trust me, this combination is excellent, and you don't even have to like beets to love this sandwich.

The combination of of the toasted bread, tangy cheese, fatty and savory bacon, and the running egg yolk are always a winner, but when you add the sweetness and acidity of the pickled beets, this sandwich is elevated to a new level. All your senses become engaged with the texture, smells, taste and look of this masterpiece.

I've been eating this sandwich for years now, and while I wish I could take credit for inventing it, it was actually shared to me by a friend from a community on Newfoundland's Northern Peninsula. I heard that my friend's mother made an egg sandwich with beets on it and, like you are probably thinking right now, I thought that it cannot be tasty. Oh how wrong I was! For whatever reason, one morning a few years ago when I was fighting though a Sunday morning, I gave the old pickled beets a try. I thought to myself, I love beets, and I also love the sweet and savory combination (I love strawberry rhubarb jam on my bacon...but that's another story) so why not give it a try. It's one of the best culinary leaps I've ever taken.

Fried Egg Sandwich with Bacon, Beets and Cheddar

Ingredients: (makes one sandwich)
  • 2 farm fresh eggs, fried in a little butter and seasoned with a little salt and pepper to desired doneness (over-easy, medium or hard)
  • 2 strips of bacon, halved and cooked until crisp
  • grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 slices of quality white bread
  • 3-5 slices of pickled beets (homemade are best)
  • butter for toast
Directions:
Prepare eggs and bacon in skillet to desired doneness. Toast bread and add butter. Arrange sandwich by starting with one slice of toast, followed by the beet slices, the two eggs, the bacon, the cheese and the final piece of toast. To get the cheese warm, after I flip my eggs in the pan, I top them with the cooked bacon, then the cheese. I then turn off the pan and cover with a piece of foil for a minute to achieve a fried egg with a medium doneness (some runny yolk) and to melt the cheese. Do your best to savor every bite of this wonderful sandwich, and enjoy the flavors in your mouth. However, if you're like me, you'll want to wolf it down as fast as you can.
 

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome!!! then again all your food looks awesome!! I am going to try it now.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that does look wicked!!!!! cant wait to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im gonna try the Fried Egg Sandwich with Bacon, Beets and Cheddar
    lol will let you know how i got on

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin